This Morning, the kids had granola bars for breakfast, as they often do. As they were eating, I was off preparing Hannah's lunch, getting her stuff together, warming the car, etc!!
We drop Hannah off to school and then we come home to watch some BOZ on tv.
After some while, Sarah asks me to have a snack of animal crackers. I asked her if she ate her granola bar. She said yes. So I said, did you eat all of of your granola bar. Yes. So I gave her some animal crackers. She is my bottomless pit... she can eat and eat!! Anyway.. I didn't think much of it and I went on to fold laundry! Sarah, in the meantime, headed upstairs to quietly play in the toyroom! Man.. life is good! Sarah's quietly playing, i'm getting something accomplished!
Some time later, I walk into the laundry room, to pull another load out of the dryer, and I look down and see a half eaten granola bar in JPat's "purple" crocs.. .(they are really aggie maroon but Hannah at three called them purple crocs..and the name stuck).... So, like any good mother, I ignore it, enjoying my peace and purpose for a little bit longer.
Eventually, I faced up to my sweet little liar. I brought the granola bar upstairs, and called Sarah to me as we sat on Hannah's bed. Here's snippets of our conversation... it lasted oh 20 to 25 minutes...
M: Sarah what is this in my hand?
S: A granola bar.
M: Whose granola bar is it?
S: My granola bar.
M: Did you eat all your granola bar?
S: Yes. (at this point, she is foolishly clinging to her little lie)
M: Sarah, you are lying to me. Your granola bar is in my hand. Did you eat your granola bar?
S(with giant tears welping up into her pretty brown eyes): No.
M: Did you know that you lied to me? When you don't tell the truth, you are lying. God hates when we lie.
S: still looking up all sad..
M: Sarah, when we lie, that is sin. Did you know that God is holy and that if we have sin, we can't be near to God.
M: Sarah, I want you to say sorry to mommy for lying and ask God for forgiveness.
S: SILENT... (for those of you who don't know Sarah.. this is a miracle.. there is a rare moment when silence is observed in our home!)
M: Sarah, you need to say sorry.
S: Sorry mommy, (looking at the floor)
M: Sarah, you need to say sorry to God too.
S: But God's not here, he's at WORK!
M: Oh sweet Sarah, God is near you. He is always around little children, helping them grown and watching them play! You can talk to him, by praying to him. Do you want me to help you?
S: Yes!
M: Dear God, please help Sarah have a soft heart! Help her to understand that she shouldn't lie to mommy and that she can talk to you at any time! Help her to see that you are a God of Forgiveness and that you love her deeply!
At this point, I said, Sarah your turn.
She turned to me and looked away.. and said quietly,
"But I love Santa Claus."
M: But Sarah, Santa Claus is nice, but God is the creator. He made everything and gave us all these wonderful things to have, eat and play with.
S: (real quiet) I love Santa Claus!
Oh dear Sarah! Of course you love Santa Claus!!! She is soo sweet and confused and SMART!!! She may be learning the "truth" about Santa when Hannah learns it! Anyway.. we finished our conversation, she got her punishment and off we went!!!
0 comments:
Post a Comment