CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

8.25.2008

Taking Hannah's Hand!



As you know, today was the first day of kindergarten. Last night, we had dinner with friends, went for another 2 mile walk, and then put the kids to bed. I was pretty calm. I even watched a movie (by the way, Cheetah Girls One World was NOT good. big surprise!.. I said calm, not levelheaded and logical). Went to bed with no tears, prayed hard, woke up with little difficulty, made it through breakfast, bathing, piano practice and then started taking pictures. Still calm. But when we were on our way, I could feel my emotions bottling up. My baby is out of my hands for the next 7 hours 20 minutes.... She is now under the influence of people I don't know, under a curriculum I don't know... making new friends she doesn't know. Driving up to the school was a madhouse. There were cars everywhere, kids and parents walking, biking, scooters, wagons, you name it! As we made it to the building, Sarah screaming, Hannah refusing to hold my hand, my tears started slowly dripping. I was trying to hold it together! I did OK until Hannah took my hand, and we proceeded down some very long halls past all the grades to the seemingly tiny Kindergarten corner. I say seemingly because there are 8 kindergarten classes. There is nothing tiny about that. As she entered the classroom, she immediately dropped her lunch, found her seat and got to coloring! She hugged us, and out we went!




I have nothing profound to say. I am sad. I am excited. I am praying! In fact, i'll be leaving for Moms In Touch meeting, where we get together and pray for the schools, kids, teachers, etc. Then Sarah has swimming lessons..and then the wait at home for 3:15 begins. I think 3:15 is the earliest I should leave my house to get Hannah. Technically, school gets out at 3:40, and our house is about 3 minutes away..but there could be a wreck! Or a hurricane! Or a plane crash. No seriously, i'm already counting the minutes! Sarah on the other hand, is quietly playing on her own in the toy room! She's not going to have any problems with Hannah being at school!

I wonder how early I'd have to leave my house to be first in car pool today?

8 comments:

Anonymous

Sounds like you had a great first day and all the feelings that all of us have. I keep telling myself that God has everything in control and has it all worked out. And that YES, He can and will protect my sweet "babies" while they are away for 7 hours and 20 minutes.

By the way, I have to get to the car pool drop off line at 3pm to be first... lol.

I'd love for you to post some of your first day experience with FreckleTown.com

Elizabeth

Welcome to the world of school age kiddos, my friend! I took Zachary to his first day of 2nd grade today. He was so calm. Sat down and immediately started work. I, of course, am hovering over him waiting for him to need something from me, which of course, he doesn't. I didn't cry, but am definitely wondering when my sweet baby boy grew up...

Amy B

Awww... sounds like a busy day already! But successful! Hope she has lots of good things to report when you pick her up!

Christa

love your blog and cannot believe she is that old.. We miss your sweet family!

Anonymous

oh she looks so cute! remember when she used to call her other backpack her 'magenta'? she was so little then!

neha

Jennifer

Sounds like she loves it! Can you even believe these girls are in Kindergarten??? Next thing you know it'll be Millie and Sarah's turn! I just started blogging last month - www.trainingthemup.blogspot.com
Jennifer

Anonymous

loved the pics of hannah!!
she is my precious!!
where did the 5 years go!!
i miss her very much.
let her call me often.
have a good time in chicago!!
lovumamaw/papaw cain

laura

another blogging friend. i'm so glad that we can stay in touch now! i didn't even know you read my blog- or that you moved. the girls are so big now. but my girls are as well. it happened fast! my personal opinion? blogging is much better- with all the "helpers" around my house! it's not as messy either! glad to hear you are reading about all our craziness. have a great week- hopefully the hurricane will stay far away from both of our families!