CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

9.06.2010

Family Camp 2010

WARNING: ***This is a wordy and picture heavy post to which I will be adding pictures as I get them from friends!!***

We just got home from family camp! I can't even begin to describe how fun it was. In fact, we've ALREADY booked next year's trip....

We left Friday around 2. We returned Monday around 6. The traffic leaving Katy to San Antonio for the record was horrendous! I mean, wall of cars!  The traffic coming home was even worse... (the fact that my husband signed up for that again ALREADY is a tremendous testimony to how fun the weekend was!

Anyway, when we arrived to the camp site, we had to drive IN the river for about a mile. The camp is located along the Frio River in the Hill Country. It was BEAUTIFUL! The weather was cool and lightly breezey, with NO humidity. What a great break from the HOT Houston summer.

We arrived to our cabin, which was about 8 bunk beds..The girls had a blast picking the one they wanted. Hannah choose the top (of course) above Daddy, while Sarah played it safe on the bottom.  After unloading, we went to dinner, and then the pavillion for a welcome. We sang songs and watched a family friendly performance from a theater company. Jim and Carol are a couple who shine for the Lord through theather..They were pretty amazing.  We rounded the night off with Smores.

Saturday morning began with breakfast, a parents devotional and then a family activity. This year we painted a glazed ceramic paint. Hannah had the whole thing planned out including colors... There is a heart in the middle with our names on it and polka dots around it. Mind you, NOT ONE OF US is an artist! But the beauty is in the imperfection. (picture to be added soon)..

After lunch we dropped Sarah off to the Canyon Club (childcare) and headed in the truck over to the Alpine Tower.





Seriously, all of my family is wussy! :) JPat is so highly afraid of heights, I think I'm wimpy, and Hannah is super cautious! So, you have to understand how amazing this is that ALL THREE of us tried to climb this tower.

Hannah went first.She chose the "easy" course. Both JPat and I were pretty amazed that she was going through with this. As JPat was fitting her harness, all sorts of crazy fears went through my mind. My baby was going to climb a tall tower with rope supporting her.  She did FABULOUS. She went as far as she could (which was farther than we expected)... She has a goal of getting to the top next year.


She said the best part was dangling down as the guide lowered her down. 

JPat went next. He chose the "medium" route.  Our friend Johnny talked him into going.. (even though he chickened out:).  JPat is so afraid of heights that he stresses out over bridges..DRIVING in a giant metal vehicle over bridges... So, getting on this was something MAJOR for him. He pushed himself all the way to the top. He sat on the edge.
For him the hardest part was letting go and trusting the college student to lower him down. Talk about totally letting go.

Finally it was my turn. I was kinda hoping they would run out of time ;) I really had to pray myself just to get into the harness. It was so hard to climb. I was grateful for the pull the guide gave me every once in a while. I made it about 1/2 way up, which was my goal. My muscles are non existent from this last baby ..and oh I have all sorts of reasons.. Anyhow, NEXT YEAR i'm going to make it to the top!! Even if i have to start exercising today!  Well, maybe tomorrow :)

After the Alpine Tower, we went directly into horseback riding.. which I hope to have more pictures of soon!   This was a FIRST for me. I have never been on the back of a horse. Hannah and Sarah were so excited to ride. Hannah rode by herself on a horse named Levi, (whom she calls Levite.. she won't let us correct her.. too cute). Sarah rode with JPat on a horse named Queenie.. which were perfect, cuz she thought she was the queen. I got to ride this showhorse named Cheyenne. Cheyenne was not exactly thrilled to have me on her. She was nursing a baby after all. It was the end of the day and she was full and tired. She wasn't exactly easy on me, but I managed the 45 minute trail up and down the hills! It was fun when I could relax. Hannah on the other hand is a natural. She said that was her favorite thing to do!


That evening, we had dinner and the kids and JPat looked at the stars with our friends, Johnny and Denise. I drug my sorry behind to bed at 9 :)..

Sunday morning brought breakfast, worship, communion, and even a water baptism for another family. Always sweet and fun to watch children get baptized!!

Next, They laid out some balls and these big round things, and played some water games with the family after that.  Sarah had a blast. She would pick up a ball and run aimlessly to the other side. At some point, she just climbed in the cylinder of balls. Hannah really got into the game too! 

Then they put up this slip and slide. JPat and the girls had a blast going through the soapy water over and over again... 

After lunch, we spent the afternoon doing different things. JPat and Hannah went canoeing and spent the afternoon at the water hole doing the water zip line. She probably went down the thing over thirty times. You basically hang on and let yourself drop whenever you feel like it. Every time she went she dropped higher and higher. It was UNBELIEVABLE.. For those of you who have daring children, this may be no big deal. BUT my sweet Hannah CRIED during EVERY bath for the first THREE YEARS of her life. This was a major accomplishment in her sweet life!


Later, JPat and Hannah shot 22's on the field. Hannah made one shot on the target. According to her dad, she was terrible. She did however, steal the target sheet from one of the counselors and proceed to tell everyone she saw "Look how I shot" in which they oohed and awed! :)  Clever child!! 

Sarah was having a few meltdowns over the lack of tootsie pops, so she and I napped in the cabin.


Sunday night, the kids went to the pavillion for movie night, while the camp outdid themselves with a date night. We enjoyed a fabulous meal and quiet conversation with other adults. It was so neat. I was amazed to hear the story of this one couple, who has three kids, that are adopting 3 boys from Haiti. Their story is incredible and we look forward to hearing about their year next year! :)

Today we packed up and headed out. It was truly a refreshing weekend. It would be so fun if you would join us!!!

1 comments:

Jennifer

Sounds like such a fun weekend! I had no idea everyone in your family was wimpy like that. We're divided: Greg and Hannah are adventurous, but Millie and I are VERY reserved!!! Can't wait to see more pics as you post them. :)