So after school today, during prayer with Daddy, Hannah had a melt down. She just starts crying and crying, and after her initial bout, I finally got her to spill the beans. At first, she was upset about praying and getting in trouble for fiddling with her book, but then, she just went CRAZY. I mean with a capital C! After about 15 minutes of crying, and making herself gag, I tried to distract her by talking about school. BIG mistake! She went beserk again! She said some kids at school made fun of her because her eyes looked scary. (I'm assuming its a drawing.) Anyway.. she was crying and crying. OH my goodness was she crying over some scary eyes! Here's how some of our conversation goes:
MOM: "Hannah, does it matter what other people think about you? "
Hannah: "no."
MOM: "Who's opinion matters?"
Hannah: "God,"
MOM: "What does God say about dealing with people who hurt you?"
Hannah: "to pray for them and be kind"
MOM: So what are you going to do?
Hannah: Starts crying uncontrollably again... but the eyes were scary. I thought they were scary!
I'm not sure how to handle this? I mean, what is the right, Godly solution to an overly sensitive, perfectionist kid? She is super sensitive, likes to be right.. I just don't know what to do!
9.04.2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comments:
WOW! Well, seeing as no one else has offered any advice, I'll give it a shot and you can either use it or laugh at it as you choose. :o)
I would definitely try to find out what eyes were scary. If they said her eyes, first of all they're crazy!!! And secondly, I'd talk to her about how she's made in God's image and she's beautiful!!! But if it was some picture that she drew and they were laughing at that, I'd probably do a couple of things. One is emphasize how important it is to learn to laugh with them! Laughing at yourself is a great thing to do when you mess up! And secondly, I'd emphasize that, yes, we ALL mess up!! Jesus was the ONLY perfect person! So if you ever mess up, like making scary eyes on a picture when you meant to make silly eyes or something like that, that's just one way of showing your friends at school that you're not perfect because no one except Jesus is perfect!! And yeah, definitely the whole thing about praying for them even though they were acting like little punks and you'd rather stick dirt in their pudding.
Post a Comment