CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

9.18.2008

"Calm" after the storm

We made it through hurricane Ike ok. We lost power about 11:05 Friday night... Fortunately the girls were already in bed. The girls had a "sleepover" that night in our rooms... Hannah slept through the storm... stinker Sarah crawled into bed between us about midnight. She insisted on putting her head on my abdomen and her feet on daddy's belly! Needless to say, between Sarah and the wind..there was little sleeping to be done. We awoke to a windy morning and no power. We spent some time outside, had a barbeque with our neighbor (his family was out of town)..and VERY gratefully we got our power back at about 8:00 pm. I happened to be on the phone with my parents, and I could hear my mom in the background screaming "boooo" when we got power back. I think she was hoping we would go to NY for the rest of the week like during Rita. What we didnt know then was that school was out for the WHOLE week.. we probably could have gone to NY. Oh well...

The rest of the weekend was spent cleaning up outside, and then Matt and Kelly came over with the twins (they are getting sooo big) and we hung out with them. Surprisingly we were able to get the twins and Sarah down for a decent nap, and Hannah was occupied with Ariel, new beginnings... In any case, we got to watch Baby Mama! SO funny. That evening, we had dinner with friends.

Monday came and the weather became incredibly cool. We have spent as much time as possible outside at the park. The girls are loving the cool weather. We had "refugees" Monday night. It was a blast. We made dinner, went for a walk, I even got to brave the stores by myself tuesday (but that's a whole another crazy post). After Maw and Paw left, I was stuck with two screaming, whining tired kids for the rest of Tuesday. About 1:30 am tuesday (technically Wednesday) JPat and I awoke to the sounds of Hannah puking all over her bathroom... on the walls, on the cabinets, floors, toilet..EVERYWHERE! It was soooo gross, it made me want to vomit. Needless to say, after cleaning that up, Hannah couldn't go back to sleep. (for the record, it was I who cleaned, not Hannah). WE finally got her back down about 3:00 am. I woke up with a horrible head, ear and throatache.... Jeez.. our family fell apart..

We spent all of yesterday in bed feeling bad.. but this morning came and we are all feeling much better. I have a Dr's appointment Monday, and hopefully will get some answers as to why i'm feeling so rotten all the time (no its not what you think). We spent the morning at the park and will spend the evening hanging out with friends... All in all , FOR US, its been a pleasant week.

For others, life has been crazy. Our friends and family in Beaumont still don't have power, and are still evacuated. So many people are displaced with their lifes and homes in ruin. Its so sad. They have opened up a Red Cross shelter down the street. We are going to spend some of our time volunteering. It gives us "something to do" for them. We, like so many other people, are looking for ways to help. Its so good to know that there is a God who is in control. It gives me hope for a future!

Well off to cook dinner....

2 comments:

Amy B

I've been checking in on your blog and was starting to get worried about you! I was going to call you but for some reason thought you were probably with family somewhere. You've had quite an eventful week! I'll be happy when routines are back in place too! Look forward to seeing you Sunday! me

Jessica

Hey Hetal, I'm glad that ya'll were able to have electrictiy all week. We have been at my parents house in Washington Tx since the 11th. Jim was out of town for the hurricane and just got back Friday (19th). Still no electricity and fleas in the house. Check out my blog. Jess