CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

9.02.2008

Mom's First Days of School!

The first day of school was a blur to me... I did ok ,until someone called, blogged or emailed to check on me, then I started bawling like a baby! (although, I am touched and blessed to know so many of ya'll were thinking about me and cared.. THANK YOU SOOO MUCH.) In any case, after going to a meeting, I came home and the rest of the day went by sooo quickly. After my meeting, Sarah had swimming (which she is NOT cooperating with..more about that on another day!), and we came home. After lunch, a sweet new friend called me, after reading my blog, and said.. "Oh no, you'll need to leave for school way before 3:15" So, thanks to Tanya, I leave around 2:45 to pick Hannah up. Mind you, school ends at 3:40. After picking up some sustenance (a route 44 tea at sonic), Sarah and I spend our afternoon at carpool. I was about 25 cars back! Can you believe it? We finally got Hannah, and made it home about 4:15. Hannah had a blast on her first day, I was relieved and a little sad, but the day ended on a high note.

After running errands Tuesday, JPat and I went to curriculum night. Some really nice friends, kept the girls (Thanks Katie), and we were off. After hearing the teachers talk... I walked away so unsettled. I felt like I knew no more about my little girl's day that I had before the long list of rules started! I still don't know their schedule, when they read, or do math or anything else. I'm not sure if i'm just spoiled from the great preschools we've attended, or what, but it seems like parents are not really involved in the child's day at school. I can eat lunch with her, and volunteer in the library, but thats about it! Its all so weird to me, I thought I'd be in the middle of everything! I am just going to have to march up there and demand info. (for those of you who don't know me that well... marching and confrontation is NOT my idea of fun... in fact, I pretty much hate it).

The other thing that was unsettling was the little bit of info I did receive about Hannah's education. They showed us this assessment that they take three times a year. The first one, done at the end of September, expects them to recognize 10 of the 52 letters in the alphabet (upper and lowercase)... OH MY goodness, Hannah is going to be sooooo bored, if they are only expected to know 10 letters! She's known them all for so long now! JPat wasn't too concerned. He said, "well you'll just have to supplement at home." I don't mind the supplementing at all, but I'm really having hard time understanding why she has to be gone 7 hours a day, if she already knows the stuff! It seems to me that half day Kindergarten would be enough! Oh well..it is what it is, and I must adapt!

The rest of the week went ok. My mother in law came for a visit, which was a blast, and then we left for Chicago...... Its going to be interesting how the school year goes and what Hannah learns!

4 comments:

Tanya

All I can say is...I'm in total agreement about everything you said. It was such an adjustment for me not to be as involved in Grace's education.

And I felt the same way about the academic side of things. The kids in school who have been in preschool enter pretty much knowing a lot of the kindergarten curriculum. I remember thinking that Jack could have done most of her work in the fall semester. Spring seemed to even out more as many kids started reading.

This dilemma has made me consider home-schooling or private school MANY times. Wish we had half-day kindergarten too.

Anonymous

HOME SCHOOL AT MAMAAW CAIN'S HOUSE!!!!
MA AND MAMAW CAIN

Anonymous

just kidding!!
mamaw cain

Anonymous

#3 suggestion:
PRIVATE SCHOOL!!DOES IT REALLY COST
TOO MUCH?
MA AND MAMAW CAIN